For our 270th entry in the Headphone Commute Mix series, we welcome Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch to share with us her favourite contemporary and modern classical pieces.
Emilie has recently appeared on these pages with her fantastic In The Studio With… feature, and don’t forget her previous year’s selection, which she titled An Open Landscape. So yes, you can say that we are fans. These days, this award-winning French composer is still touring for her four-track digital EP, titled Only You for FatCat / 130701, but we’re honoured to have her back on our show.
For this mix I wanted to focus on music by contemporary composers and musicians released over the past 12 months, but that has a very intemporal quality in its simplicity and harmonic language. I was also trying to create bursts of beauty between moments of more contemplative sparseness, such as the stunning vocal duet of Minor Pieces’ “Rothko” emerging from the pipe organ stratum of KaliMalone’s “Sacer Profanare”. Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch
- zaké: 001306966 OTS4 [Strata]
- Oliver Coates: Prairie
- Nina Keith: Hereditary Trauma Dream Sprinting (Oxford Circle)
- Nivhek: Walking in a spiral towards the house: Side C
- Sara Pagé: Ephemeris Data
- Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch: Sorry I Missed Your Call
- Kali Malone: Sacer Profanare
- Minor Pieces: Rothko
- Caroline Shaw & Attacca Quartet: Plan & Elevation: V. The Beech Tree